Monday, August 16, 2010

Roast Figs Sugar Snow



Roast Figs Sugar Snow: Winter Food to Warm the Soul by Mitchell Beazley
Cooking Collection - Upper Level – 641.5 H


My husband likes figs. That's an understatement. He loves figs, and has asked repeatedly to plant a fig tree in our yard. I like figs as much as the next person, but other than eating dried figs out of the bag, I'm not sure what to do with them. When I saw this cookbook, I had to investigate.

What a treat! This book is filled with some of the most beautiful, delicious-looking food photography I've ever seen! One can enjoy just poring over the pictures in this book, whether you like figs or not. Not every recipe has a photo, but those scattered throughout the book are gorgeous.

Some of the recipes...ok, if I'm being honest, many of the recipes are not things I would cook at home. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, and would not hesitate to order most of them in a restaurant, but "Salad of Smoked Duck with Farro, Red Chicory, and Pomegranates" and "Smoked Eel with Poppy Seed Cakes and Apple and Beet Relish" are just not going to come out of my kitchen. "Roast Figs, Shallots, and Chestnuts with Gorgonzola Polenta" just might. "Roast Figs and Plums in Vodka with Cardamom Cream" might, too.

This is more than just a cookbook. It includes descriptions and short essays that are really interesting and describe various ingredients and techniques, as well as food culture and history. I found this a fascinating book to browse through and soak up little tidbits here and there througout. You don't have to be a foodie to get into this one, but what a treat for those interested in food and interesting ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment