Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Put 'Em Up!


Put 'Em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling by Sherri Brooks Vinton
New Book Shelves Upper Level - Cook 641.4 V


I've never canned anything, but my garden is looking pretty good and I want to give it a try. I've been looking through lots of books on the subject, but so far this is my favorite. It's organized nicely by ingredient (want bean recipes? Look under beans!), and has an excellent chapter on technique where there are step-by-step procedures on things like cold-pack canning and hot-pack canning. It also has color pictures throughout. The author goes through equipment needs, and is very practical about what pieces are absolutely necessary vs. what is "nice to have." I'll be making pickles, pickled peppers, salsa, and tomato sauce. I think, with the help of this book, that I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment