Friday, August 19, 2011

Just After Sunset: Stories


Just After Sunset: Stories
by Stephen King
Adult Fiction Shelves--Main Level--King


I have been reading a lot of Stephen King this summer. This may be because his work has provided good escape from the reading required during the final semester of my Master’s degree. I also find that King's short stories are often easier to read than his lengthy novels.

Just After Sunset is an exceptional collection of stories that explore the various aspects of death and near death experiences. The stories are exciting, often shocking, and most of all—creepy. While I enjoyed nearly every story, a few stuck out among the rest. “N” explores the potentially dangerous power obsessive compulsive disorders can have over some, while adding a supernatural twist. “Willa” and “The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates” explore the possibilities of life after death. Finally, “The Ginger Bread Girl,” “The Rest Stop,” and “A Very Tight Place” play on the basic fear that completely commonplace settings and events can turn horrible.

Many of these stories scared me, in a good way, and kept me thinking long after I was done with the book. In my opinion, this collection is proof that King is a modern master of the short story.

I also highly recommend King’s most recent collection of short stories: Full Dark, No Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment