Monday, April 9, 2012

Women's Health Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts


The Women’s Health Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts
by Selene Yeager.

New Book Shelves – Upper Level – 613.7 Y

I waited several months for this book, as I was not the only person in the library who thought that 15 minute workouts were a fabulous idea. For your benefit, dear reader, as well as my own, once I got my hands on the book, I decided to follow their program for the full three weeks that I was allowed the book (there is still a wait list on it, so I couldn’t keep it longer) and then report on it. Their program is to do their workouts every other day for a total of three days in the week, alternating with light aerobic activity and/or stretching on days 2 and 4. Day 6 is high intensity aerobics from the book – I did jump roping, as it was the only one I could do from home with equipment I already had. I developed a love-hate relationship with this book:

Love
- The workouts are designed to be done in 15 minutes. This is a stretch with my schedule, but it seems to be mostly possible.
- They make a very good case for 15 minutes of their routines being better for you than hours of less intense routines.
- The workouts have clear color photos with easy-to-follow written instructions under the photo of each step.
- The focus is on strength training with large muscle groups doubled up, making it hard enough work to count as cardio as well.
- There is a good variety of workouts – 85, grouped into the categories of lower body, upper body, core, fat-burning, by body type, anywhere, special gear, better sex, healing, sports, stretch and strengthen. You will not get bored, you’ll develop broader strength, and if you don’t like one workout on a topic, you can pick from several others.
- The models are a variety of different ethnicities.

Hate
-The models are all extremely fit, naturally small twenty-somethings.
- The workouts assume a pretty high fitness level – for example, assuming that you not only can do a full push-up, but that you’d like to make it even harder. And that you can assume a fairly challenging pose and hold it while lifting weights. They have few to no notes on adapting the exercises to a lower fitness level. If I can’t hold a full plank pose while lifting weights up to shoulder level.
- They use a lot of equipment, even within a workout, from free weights, therabands, and an exercise/birth ball, which I have, to medicine balls, aerobic steps of different heights, weight benches, a bosu, and even a cable pull-down station for the Michelle Obama Arms workout. Though the equipment list at the beginning says you don’t need all of this, it isn’t prioritized in any way, and they seem to assume that money and space are no object, and that most people have easy access to an already stocked gym. However, I was able to do almost everything using what I have, substituting a large squash for the medicine ball (until we ate it) and my son’s spooner board for the bosu in some exercises. Still, I would really have appreciated a “get started for under $100” list, and instruction on adapting the exercises for less equipment.
-Though Yeager’s bio says she’s a mother, she seems never to have heard of a diastasis recti, the separation of the vertical abdominal muscles that most mothers get. Crunches, especially cross-crunches & bicycles, double leg-lifts, and the Pilates V all make a diastasis worse and the tummy more rather than less poochy. These exercises appear in almost every workout.

I was able to stick with the program, which is in itself amazing, and am already noticing benefits in my increased strength and fitness. Even though I was frustrated with some of the aspects of the book, I found I enjoyed the challenge of doing lots of new things that I wasn’t able to master right away. You might enjoy it if you want a book with a good choice of challenging and intense but short work-outs with clear instructions. If you are a mother, I’d recommend looking at Julie Tupler’s Lose Your Mummy Tummy either instead or for alternative ab exercises that do take the diastasis into account.

A men’s version of this book, The Men’s Health Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts, by the same author, is also available.



No comments:

Post a Comment